Note to users. If you're seeing this message, it means that your browser cannot find this page's style/presentation instructions -- or possibly that you are using a browser that does not support current Web standards. Find out more about why this message is appearing, and what you can do to make your experience of our site the best it can be.

Subscribe

SAGE KE Bulletin Board

Impetus for Studying Aging?

19 September 2002

Matt Kaeberlein

Hi Elaine,

I started studying aging as a graduate student in Lenny Guarente's lab at MIT. Lenny's lab was focused almost exclusively on the molecular causes of aging in the budding yeast at the time I started graduate school. I had originally intended to work on something related to structural biology for my Ph.D. thesis, but became intrigued with yeast aging after hearing a talk that Lenny gave. So I guess it was the intrinsic appeal of the specialty that got me into the field.

Over time that evolved into a more fundamental interest in human aging. I am currently working for Longenity Inc. , a biotechnology company focused on identifying molecular biomarkers of human aging. I am excited by how rapidly the field is progressing, and I'm hopeful that the near future will see the development of interventions to slow aging and prolong people's lives.

I suppose most scientists would say the same thing about their research, but I can't imagine working in a field more interesting and important than this one.

To Advertise     Find Products

Science of Aging Knowledge Environment. ISSN 1539-6150