Note to users. If you're seeing this message, it means that your browser cannot find this page's style/presentation instructions -- or possibly that you are using a browser that does not support current Web standards. Find out more about why this message is appearing, and what you can do to make your experience of our site the best it can be.

Subscribe

SAGE KE Bulletin Board

A Discussion of Early-Life Predictors with an emphasis on Statistical Methods

16 March 2004

Rainer Spiegel

I read the well-written contributions to early-life predictors of human longevity by Drs. Gavrilova, Gavrilov, Evdokushkina and Semyonova with great interest and I would like to reply to the authors' question for comments and suggestions: 1. I thought about including "gender" as a co-variate into the statistical analysis and testing whether the co-variate has a significant effect on the overall results. 2. The authors mention that previous research on early-life effects is often based on small data sets. Therefore I thought it might be a good idea to perform a meta-analysis over these small data sets. This way a pooling of the data for both genders in an attempt to increase statistical power could be avoided. A good overview on meta-analytic reviews can be found in Rosenthal (1995). 3. I wonder what effects diseases such as Hemophilia or Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy have on longevity of males and females in considered datasets, as these diseases are linked to the X-Chromosome. Reference: Rosenthal, R. (1995). Writing meta-analytic reviews. Psychological Bulletin, 118, 183-192.

To Advertise     Find Products

Science of Aging Knowledge Environment. ISSN 1539-6150